Subscribe To

Subscribe to SQL Server and XML by Email
Labels

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Another IIS error

This weekend I came across another IIS issue. I had noticed that my default website showed a red icon indicating an error but never got a chance to see what is happening. This weekend, I had to configure a website and hence had to sit down and see what is going wrong with my IIS. I saw the default website does not start. When i try to start it, IIS throws an error message "Unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occurred" My first instinct was to check the path of the default website. But i saw that the default directory (home directory) of the default website is c:\inetpub\wwwroot and the folder exists. So there is no chance that there should be a folder error. As many web developers would do, the next thing i did to correct the problem was to uninstall IIS and reinstall it. I was pretty sure that a reinstallation of IIS will fix my problem. Atleast, in the past, many a times when i faced problems with IIS a reinstallation had helped. So I uninstalled IIS and reinstalled it. I was surprised when I went to IIS manager and found that the default website still could not start. When i try to start it, I got the same error. So frustrating. Isn't it? I did a quick search in google with the error information and came acrosss an MSDN knowledge base article which said that the problem is caused when IIS is not able to open port 80 on the host machine. Ah! that makes sense. Some other application on my machine is using port 80. But who is it? Is it a virus? There is no chance that I have installed an application which might be using port 80. If that is the case, I must make sure if the port is infact used by some one or something else is making my IIS sick. Well, the best friend who can help you to check status of open ports is the old DOS utility netstat. I ran netstat and found that my port 80 is infact used by some one else. Amazing!!! Ok, but who is the culprit? I looked into the task manager and did not find any process which I could suspect. I checked the help documentation of netstat and found that it supports a switch "-b" which would give the name of the process which is using a given port. Thats really interesting! I saw that SQL Server is using 80 port. Then i remember that I had configured SQL Server 2005 Web Services on my machine a few days back. Btw: SQL Server 2005 Web Services are really great stuff that you should look at. I will post a few pieces of interesting information about it shortly. Back to IIS. I would suggest that the first thing we need to do when we have an issue with IIS is to have a quick google search about the problem. Most of the times, it might be far more productive rather than doing an uninstallation and reinstallation of IIS as the first resort.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me
Jacob Sebastian
Tutorials
* XQuery Tutorials
My Links
SQL Server White Papers
SQL Server 2008
My Articles
XML Workshop RSS Feed
Contact me
Readers
Free Hit Counter
Web Site Hit Counters
SQL Server Bloggers
Blog Directories
blogarama - the blog directory Programming Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
 
Copyright Jacob Sebastian