Subscribe To

Subscribe to SQL Server and XML by Email
Labels

Friday, June 16, 2006

Dot Net 3.0

I was much excited when I heard the announcement about Dotnet 3.0. Microsoft showed a lot of magic and facinated everyone including me and you, with the release of DotNet 2.0. So I had been expecting much fun when I started looking deep into DotNet 3.0. When I had a closer look, I saw that it is "Old beer in new bottle". There is nothing REALLY new in Dot Net 3.0. No improvements in framework, CLR. It is just a packaging magic, where WinFx was added to the PACKAGE of Dotnet and it became 3.0 Dotnet 3.0 includes the following.

  • 2.0 CLR
  • 2.0 Base Class Library
  • ADO.NET 2.0, ASP.NET 2.0, Windows Forms 2.0
  • VB 8.0 and C# 2.0
These are the ingrediants we already have. In the past several months most of us would have been working on all these stuff. There is no change in CLR, No enhancements to the Base Class Library, No enhancements in ASP.NET or ADO.net. Now what is new?

Here are the new sweets

  • Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
  • Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
  • Windows Workflow Foundation (WinWF)
  • Windows CardSpace

But the question remains unanswered. Are these really new? These are the sweets we have already tasted. So is it just a re-packing? How is this re-packing going to help me as a developer? Does it really matters to have all these packed into a single gift pack?

I dont mind having my cofee and biscuits in two different packs. I am happy as long as i get them both. Well, if u serve me in a sigle pack, thats fine..I am not excited.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me
Jacob Sebastian
Tutorials
* XQuery Tutorials
My Links
SQL Server White Papers
SQL Server 2008
My Articles
XML Workshop RSS Feed
Contact me
Readers
Free Hit Counter
Web Site Hit Counters
SQL Server Bloggers
Blog Directories
blogarama - the blog directory Programming Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
 
Copyright Jacob Sebastian