Subscribe To

Subscribe to SQL Server and XML by Email
Labels

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Cross page postback

A few days back I happened to read about "cross-page" postback capabilities of ASP.NET 2.0. It looked so exciting to me and I wish it would make the same feelings to many of you too. One of the behaviour that I did not like with ASP.NET was the 'single form' model. It works well with most pages. However, if your page is very complex with a large number of controls and a dozen different functionalities, it will really become so tedious to manage in a single page. Every time an event occurs on a server side control, and a postback will take place, and the server will load our VERY VERY heavy page, and we do a lot of conditional checks in the page load, and check for postback flag and the event handler gets executed..and..and..is it not so clumsy??? When I learned about "Cross-Page Postback" feature of ASP.NET 2.0, it looked very promising. It makes the code much more maintainable and allows me to organize my code into multiple smaller pages. If i have 10 buttons on my web page, I could configure it in such a way that each button will postback to a different page. And when the cross-page post back occurs, you can still access the previous page and all the controls on it. Is n't cool? Dipal choksi has written a very nice article on cross-page postback and you can find it here If you like ASP.NET forms, I have a few delicious links.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me
Jacob Sebastian
Tutorials
* XQuery Tutorials
My Links
SQL Server White Papers
SQL Server 2008
My Articles
XML Workshop RSS Feed
Contact me
Readers
Free Hit Counter
Web Site Hit Counters
SQL Server Bloggers
Blog Directories
blogarama - the blog directory Programming Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
 
Copyright Jacob Sebastian